Quote Originally Posted by davide445 View Post
David sw will generate the mesh also? I did think he generate only the point cloud, even if with alignment.
About the others all are for sure wonderful sw but also expensive and difficult to learn.

We can say the cheapest (even if not the easier to use) option is Rhino+plugin?

What about MOI3D? I'm always returning to Moi since appear to be the easy start for sold modelling, less scary for beginners as us.

Just to understand the difference: tools such as SpaceClaim does have specific tools for reverse engineering, or they are just good solid modelling tools that fit nicely into the workflow that use the point cloud as a basis for modelling? What's the point where Wrap add value vs a generic solid modeller?
David will create a mesh yes (I'm 99% sure anyway - have never used it.) In some ways it's more accurate working from a point cloud but I nearly always convert to a mesh first.

It really depends what you're doing whether Rhino is a good tool. If you're primarily doing bodywork then great. It's one of the best until you have £30k to spend. It's slow for parametric modelling however.

Wrap is completely different to a solid modeller. It can (sometimes) create a closed (but ugly) surface from a watertight mesh, but this is a small feature of the program. With most hardware we can scan directly into the program, align the scans, merge them into meshes and then you have lots of tools to smooth/clean the data (which you wouldn't necessarily do for reverse engineering.) There are other programs that can do the most of what Geomagic Wrap can do - it is just good, simple and quick. If you're working meshes you really want to be learning Z-Brush as well.

Spaceclaim has a few scanning specific elements (and it handles meshes much better than most other mainstream programs,) but most auto processes I would recommend to stay away from. 3D scanning makes producing a 3D model of all but the simplest items quicker and more accurate, but you still have to do the modelling, so the best/quickest CAD program for yourself I would always recommend.

In the reverse engineering side of my company I would estimate I spend 5% my time in Wrap, 90% in Spaceclaim and perhaps 0.5% in Rhino with a few other programs added in.

I've no experience with MOI3D