There isnt anything radically different than there was 1-2 years ago when I first got in to it.
I mean one of the best printers then the makergear m2 is still one of the best printers now.
in your opinion :-)

Actually fdm is coming along in leaps and bounds - maybe not in the states ;-) but in europe there are some amazing new machines come along in the last year or two.
My personal favourite being the bcn3d sigma.
A simple idea but one that makes dual material printing as simple and easy as single extruder printing.
https://www.bcn3dtechnologies.com/en...og/bcn3d-sigma

Spain in particular at the moment seems to be where the next gen fdm machines are coming from.
And then you really have to look at the other end of fdm - the actual available materials.
From non-warp nylons to antibacterial filaments - the sheer number and variety of of materials is expanding on an exponential basis.
There's not that much you can do with fdm hardware - but there seesm to be no end of what you can do with the actual printable marerials.

But fdm is far from resting on its laurels. You just need to take a global perspective :-)

And yeah there are also some amazing things happening in sla.
Oddly it's the opposite of fdm - huge leaps forward in the actual manufacturing technology - and very little change in the available materials to print with.