I think if you just look at one subsection of the consumer 3d printing market I would say no.

For instance. look at FDM. There isnt anything radically different than there was 1-2 years ago when I first got in to it. I mean one of the best printers then the makergear m2 is still one of the best printers now. If it was growing that fast, that shouldnt be the case. There is only so much FDM can do. Its a hot glue on on a stick. The progression is going to have to come from other areas, axis's, and materials (and speed/ease of use).

Now the other side of the coin, SLA is growing at a rate that I am very happy to say is as fast as I expected, except in 1 major area (resin/materials). I want metal resin, more options etc.
But for instance, my Muve3d printer is INSANELY good. That team is making improvements all the time, as its a modular printer for the most part. You can go down to tiny SUPER high detail prints (for jewelry etc) or use a LARGE vat at higher rez and get huge part volumes.
Thing is, me being at a psuedo silicon valley "start up" I realize that innovation does NOT come from the big boys, hardly EVER. Innovation comes from young companies that can afford to take a risk. HP cant really afford to fail, so they will largely play it safe to appease share holders. thats how it works. Same with their storage. HP had MSA, EVA, Lefthand, now 3par. Nothing ground breaking in any of that IP. Its all legacy crap that works, but doesnt innovate. So I look to venture backed companies and individuals to bring the next great innovation to 3d printing and if i had to place my money on that, I would.