Hey, this is my first post here! Name is Bill Ryder. I'm a 46 year old, 20 year software engineering veteran with a very specific goal in mind with regard to 3d printing. The only research I've done so far is to compare various available sub $500 3d printers.

Ultimately I want to play with creating my own filament from HDPE. I had a "Logic" brand boat which was made from HDPE as are many canoes and kayaks, which I could repair by welding with salvaged milk jugs. This led me to think about saving the world by recycling HDPE. I have also looked into some extruders/makers, mostly DIY, online. And my thought is, with perfected 3d printing with HDPE, this would be a great avenue to re-use of discarded HDPE plastic items.

But step one at this point is to be able to do anything I need to start with learning about 3d printing. Would be very appreciative of best advice balancing low cost with ease of getting to the point of printing with HDPE filament. Based on research I'm thinking the the Di Vinci 1.0 Pro is the absolutely quickest path to printing with a decent probability of success with HDPE. Heated base. Variable extruder temps that can handle ABS (which I'm to understand in the in the temp range for HDPE). $349. Comes with software. Auto setup of just about everything possible.

Does that sound like I'm on the right track? Should I consider something else? For example, can I get significantly cheaper with a RepRap based kit, with less hassle and headache than I think? And/Or, are there other options I should consider that I don't even know about?

I look forward to contributing my experiences and finding on this forum over time. Any initial advice sincerely appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this!!

-Bill