Close

Hybrid View

(sensor)
    |
    |
    / (semitransparent mirror) - - - - (laser)
    ||
    ||
    ||
    _ (floating mirror)

I think a capacitive sense would work best. Resistance is relative to salt concentration, and would require re-calibration every time. I could easily rig up a test with an arduino. you just need to tape a conductive strip to the outside of the container vertically, and submerge a corrosion resistant lead into the water. Gold coated PCB trace would be ideal, and cheap/easily salvageable. You can measure the capacitance which should increase linearly as the water level rises. You can measure it with an arduino using 3 pins, and two resisters, or using a 555 timer, to generate a digital modulated output which could be measured by your drip input on the peachy.

Quote Originally Posted by Synchron View Post
    Why not use the laser and a floating mirror on the resin. Messure the time, the laserlight needs to a sensor.
    Hardest there would be to maintain the floating mirror's position!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsondag View Post
    I think a capacitive sense would work best. Resistance is relative to salt concentration, and would require re-calibration every time. I could easily rig up a test with an arduino. you just need to tape a conductive strip to the outside of the container vertically, and submerge a corrosion resistant lead into the water. Gold coated PCB trace would be ideal, and cheap/easily salvageable. You can measure the capacitance which should increase linearly as the water level rises. You can measure it with an arduino using 3 pins, and two resisters, or using a 555 timer, to generate a digital modulated output which could be measured by your drip input on the peachy.
    Now there's a new and novel solution I hadn't thought of! Will it be accurate enough tho?

Quote Originally Posted by CescoAiel View Post
    Now there's a new and novel solution I hadn't thought of! Will it be accurate enough tho?
    That's a good question. One that I think more relates to the parts used, and the resolution of said parts, than the method itself. I can test this maybe in the next day or two, just with some foil tape, and my multimeter, and see if that provides decent resolution. for a micro, the test involves charging the capacitor through a known resistance, measuring the time it takes, draining the cap, then repeating. The resistor value, and build of the "Capacitor" will need to be experimented with a bit.