Close

Threaded View

As you make your way into Randolph Hall, on Virginia Tech’s campus, it doesn’t take long to realize you are in the mechanical engineering department: Displays of past work and applicable theory; displays filled with the end result of additive manufacturing (3d printing); the DreamVendor…. front and center.

DreamVender is a 3D printing station that allows Virginia Tech students to be able to come and and print prototypes for both academic and personal use.
    http://www.dreams.me.vt.edu/dreamvendor/
    The machine has been quite popular since it was unveiled in 2012 but after literally hundreds of prints being generated on the station’s four Maker-bot printers… it is time to retire.
    As I made my way downstairs to the lab where the students and faculty work on additive manufacturing on an academic level I was elated to finally see the new machine – unofficially known as DreamVender II.
    Then came the kicker. As I checked out the new printing station I could not help but notice the beautiful orange filament that the new station had loaded. Turns out it was none other than HoneyComb Drone Orange!!
    As I looked around I noticed all sorts of orange prints.
    “All the orange is HoneyComb Drone,” said the student leading the way through the lab.
    I had given the DREAMS Lab HoneyComb Drone to test for us but had not heard back so to this was exciting to see.
    I turned to DREAMS Lab Director, Dr. Chris Williams, and asked, “What do you think of Drone?”.
    “We love it,” he said.
    Then he added that basically they had been using PLA from another company and were having issues with the filament. They popped in Drone ABS and have had no problems since.
    Definitely what I wanted to hear!
    Dave
    www.3d-filaments.com
    www.3dfilaments.us
    Attached Images Attached Images