Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
You know, thinking about it I started with abs. Took a while to get a decent print - think it was a round a week before I had the first 100% succesful print.
And while it was a PITA at the time, it definitely taught me a helluva lot mkore about my printer and 3d printing than I'd have learned if I'd started with pla and everything has just worked from day one :-)

So I'll give abs another use - great for teaching you - albeit frustrating at the time - how to properly use your printer :-)

@servicexp
I prefer to use reprappertech pla. Never had any issues with it and parts I've made that broke with abs don't break with it.
Also anything by polymaker is excellent stuff.
Try to print as hot as you can - as this will give you much better layer bonding. I pretty much now default to 210 for most pla. Slightly lower for black and try to avoid printing in white as much as possible.
I find the colourant in white makes it brittle - had the same with abs in that it cracked a lot more than other colours.

Best filament I've used is reprappertech 'wood'. It's a semi transparent brown/bronzy colour. And just a fabulous filament all round. Unless I need a specific colour I'll use that for pretty much everything.

Flexible wise - polymaker polyflex is hands down my favourite. Not as stretchy as ninjaflex - but prints just like normal pla - just a wee bit hotter.
Fantastic stuff. And a lot cheaper than ninjaflex as well :-)

My biggest issue with abs was the shrinkage. I like my cad models to print the size I program them to be - rather than smaller. :-)
And not having to go near acetone is also a big bonus and the lack of burning plastic smell in the workshop.

A lot of difference can be made in the orientation of a print. I made some little square 'u' shaped clips. Initialy printed them with the bas down and the arms pointing up.
Pla ones broke very easily where they jolined the base - not alayer bonding issue - that was simply the weakest mechanical point.
Ended up using pet at the same orientation and they worked much better.

Then had a brainwave and printed them laying down, this completely removed the mechanical weakness as the entire outline was one piece.
The pla ones are now more flexible, stiffer and stronger than the pet ones. And they look better as well and print quicker :-)

So it's not only what plastic you use - but how you use it as well and how you design and print your designs.
Thanks for the information, I should have asked were are you located? I don't see any US option for reprappertech? I see some on Amazon for Polymaker PolyMax and PolyPlus along with some flex versions. So I may start there, maybe with the PolyMax... I've been learning about the effects of print orientation, and model design have on the stability of the part. It's been quite remarkable to see just how important that one change (print orientation) can be.