I'm also funding the Makibox; I was in the first twenty original people funding it way back in February 2012.

Needless to say, I've learnt that all this stuff takes time. The Makibox hardware is almost ready to go, but the software still looks like it'll take some time - and this is more than eighteen months since the project was started! Luckily the Makibox can also work with alternative 3D printer software, since it's a standard cartesian FDM design.

The Peachy is going to be much more complex to write software for. It'll be starting from scratch (no other open-source software to use as a base or reference). The software has to talk to hardware devices (soundcard) and do signal processing on the microphone input, rather than just sending out a bunch of data through a serial port. It has to deal with horrible 3D trig instead of simple X-Y-Z coordinates. It has to deal with variable-sized printing containers. With the current alpha-stage hardware, it's likely that each hardware set will behave differently, so the software has to deal with that.

In short, it looks like a huge amount of work.

Add to that the fact that it's currently at best a side project; it'll be lucky to get an hour per night from each engineer until they actually get paid to do it full-time. Add to that the logistical issues (two teams several hours apart). It becomes clear that making any progress right now is pretty amazing.