Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Printrbots have SD card slots on them. I've never used the SD card slot, but I do know it is there.

I have used Printrbots a few times, and they seemed very robust and they didn't have any problems while I was using them. The print quality was good even at low settings, and the examples looked amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printer-L...IAAOSw2XFUZcbh

this is a decent machine - basically a replicator clone with just the one extruder. metal frame, decent build volume and lcd screen so you can run it without being connected to the computer. Which as far as I can see none of the printrbots have.
    For me that's a pretty crucial omission. For anything that's going to take more than about 20 minutes I always print from the sd card.
    Means I can switch the computer off and leave the printer to it.
    ALso means the only thing you need to use the printer is a single power outlet.

And printing a full shell for a car will take a few hours :-)
    Checked out the printer you showed the link to on eBay, doesn't look too bad. But the auction doesn't appear to state the print resolution. Also, it's Chinese. USA seller, but a Chinese machine. I've had way to many issues with Chinese electronics, so I'd like to avoid it if possible (I do understand that my price range is pointing me towards Chinese). But, everything else looks good. I saved it in my eBay account, so it's a possibility.
    Also, a few hours to print a car shell sounds really good, I was figuring more like 5 or 6 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by cmot View Post
    I have used Printrbots a few times, and they seemed very robust and they didn't have any problems while I was using them. The print quality was good even at low settings, and the examples looked amazing.
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll continue looking into the printerbot.

The one thing about buying Chinese is that you would probably have no way whatsoever of getting customer support if something goes wrong. With the Printrbot, you are paying for the printer and the support. 3D printers are still relatively new, and they don't always just work. Sometimes you have to fix something, and the customer support is a big help with that.

About 3D scanners, they aren't really working yet. No company has come out with a scanner that is cheap and gets good reviews. Cubify does have these, but I have no idea if they work at all.

So, please allow me to interject I have owned 8 printers now and Ill tell you right now you will NOT be happy with a filament based printer. You will be extremely dissappointed in the level of detail, and the finish work that will be required to do what you want.

Your only option is really a resin based SLA printer.

You would have 2 options in this case.. Neither perfect.

1. SLA Laser - Formlabs makes the most popular machine.. It has limitations of course. CTC Also makes a competitor to the FOrmlabs Form1+ (lets be honest its a 100% direct knockoff clone (older versions even used formlabs firmware for crying out loud)). You can buy a used (dont let them convince you its new, because its absolutely NOT) on ebay for about $880 US. I have one, and it works quite well. However ive known many people who bought them and they didnt fair so well. Its kind of a crap shoot. Although because its done through ebay and paypal you have the power. I demanded half my money back and got it when my LCD burned out (lcd is useless and not needed anyway). The other drawback is depending on what you are printing, the resolution in the XY axis is not as good as the Z (still better than filament). The z axis (contrary to what the ebay sellers say) is only .1mm, which when coupled with resin SLA is actually quite good and i think you would be happy there. oh and the build area wouldnt get you where you want.

2. Better option (more expensive) is DLP. DLP would fit most of your requirements, and depending on what you want, could fit your build area. The most popular DLP printers are the Titan 1 from Kudo3d, B9Creator Pro, and i would say gaining popularity is the Muve3d DLP, which i own. DLP gives you the benefit of INSANE resolutions in the Z, but also the XY. I am printing insanely detailed items (people use them for jewelry as well).
    You cant get any DLP printer anywhere near your $700 unless you build it yourself.

Sorry to be debbie downer, but take it from a detail whore, you wont be happy with FDM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmot View Post
    About 3D scanners, they aren't really working yet. No company has come out with a scanner that is cheap and gets good reviews. Cubify does have these, but I have no idea if they work at all.
    I was specifically looking at Cubify, the one that looks like a staple gun.

And I completely agree with you about the Chinese customer support. Language barrier, time zone difference, inferior build quality, inferior parts quality, Shipping a printer back to China for a return, ect. Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. I know I sound like I'm preaching about Chinese electronics here, but that's because I'm biased. I work for an AMERICAN electronics manufacturer. A dying breed. I'm proud of the fact that the electronics we make are vastly superior to the Chinese. I can tell you from personal experience that the Chinese can't touch the quality control that we use everyday. We get top dollar for our electronic parts for a reason.

From what I've seen on Printerbots website, and their Youtube videos, Printerbot looks like they are on the right track with their products.

Dunginhawk -
    I'm still doing my homework on the various types of 3d printers. Due to the price difference I've shied away from resin. I have not seen many finished products that have the detail I'm looking for. And, what I have seen that had nice detail, the people who posted them on line didn't say what kind of printer they used. From what I've seen with FDM, FFF, ect, the thing about their detail is all the horizontal lines. Am I correct in thinking that filling with body putty & sanding will fix that? I'm quite used to doing that with model cars, and not afraid of finish work. Most of the 3d items that I've seen are raw plastic, nothing more than some minor clean up. What I'm looking to do is model cars, which would be painted. If it's painted, then filling & sanding would not be visible in the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by ScaleModelBuilder View Post
    Dunginhawk -
    I'm still doing my homework on the various types of 3d printers. Due to the price difference I've shied away from resin. I have not seen many finished products that have the detail I'm looking for. And, what I have seen that had nice detail, the people who posted them on line didn't say what kind of printer they used. From what I've seen with FDM, FFF, ect, the thing about their detail is all the horizontal lines. Am I correct in thinking that filling with body putty & sanding will fix that? I'm quite used to doing that with model cars, and not afraid of finish work. Most of the 3d items that I've seen are raw plastic, nothing more than some minor clean up. What I'm looking to do is model cars, which would be painted. If it's painted, then filling & sanding would not be visible in the finished product.
    Well, you mentioned needing to get things down to a taper of 1mm or less, and to see details in your logos, emblems etc... You may be able to taper on FDM, but i doubt you are going to get much detail in the emblems etc.

Im not working for a resin based printing company lol, but i just think overall you will be dissapointed in FDM for what you need/want. especially at your budget level

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast