Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    out of those two - then the printrbot would be the choice - with the lcd screen.

The micro just seems too cheaply made to survive much travelling - and doesn't have the untethered option. Which is a must for me.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Hi, the printrbots can work disconnected from a PC ! you can auto-print from a sd card (that is standard in the board of all their products) and you can handle them with the optional LCD screen + button.

As for shipping, you need at minimum to disconnect and dismount the bed and immobilize the head. That is a 10 min operation I'd say and you need to recalibrate after. All in all I wouldn't say it's a biggie. Additional care depends on the shipping conditions. I've seen some people carrying it around on a backpack or with the handle....

Overall the printrbot line is really sturdy and support is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    out of those two - then the printrbot would be the choice - with the lcd screen.

The micro just seems too cheaply made to survive much travelling - and doesn't have the untethered option. Which is a must for me.
    I did not know the Printrbot came with a built in SD card slot, awesome!

As far as the LCD screen, I don't see that as on option but an add on, which I'm assuming is how you both mean. I also was reading into Octoprint, which theoretically would allow me to wireless use my laptop correct? A Rasberry pi is what, like $30 and a few little parts and I should be good to go I would think.

From what I've been reading it seems like the main issue is the main board. Has anyone confirmed if the issues have been fixed? I heard they can easily fry themselves, bad USB connector, and faulty boards.

Quote Originally Posted by scubaru View Post
    I I also was reading into Octoprint, which theoretically would allow me to wireless use my laptop correct? A Rasberry pi is what, like $30 and a few little parts and I should be good to go I would think.
    Correct, this is also an add on sold by Printrbot if you're into it. I think they're even working on something more integrated as you can see on their twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaru View Post
    From what I've been reading it seems like the main issue is the main board. Has anyone confirmed if the issues have been fixed? I heard they can easily fry themselves, bad USB connector, and faulty boards.
    1 simple question : how old was this post ? If this stems back from their initial KS product : OK. I don't think this is true any longer : they have now integrated the production of the boards internally (no longer subcontracted) and overall integration in the product seems OK. Never had a problem in a year. That being said, they announced on their twitter their intention to move away from mini USB on the coming board revisions.