I've been changing settings (and leveling the bed) like a madman, but I can't make any progress. I had gotten semi-decent results with some minor ringing:
20151230_114807-1.jpg (bad photo, but it gets the point across.)

In an attempts to defeat the ringing effect I mounted the base the printer is sitting on to the wall using one angle brackets and a few screws. But my prints immediately became worse:
20160102_095614.jpg20160102_095533.jpg (This isn't the original attempt, I lost that one in a fit of rage)
In the first print that failed like this, his arms had little strings between them, and he was warped like this. After some Googling and trial and error, they never really became better. The picture above is attempt No. 9.
The print head has been leveled about 4 times during these prints and it doesn't seem to help much (but it did help slightly.)
Changing the temperature changed very little, above was printed at 175C where the original was at a much higher temperature.
I bought a caliper to test filament diameter, and was pleasantly surprised to find it was fairly uniform at 1.72 +-0.01

The problems seem to start at higher layers? Perhaps it's only more noticeable because of the rounded edges?
Guides like this is where I've been going to try and diagnose my prints (but I don't use Simplify3D, I'm hesitant to spend the money when I haven't had but 1 or 2 almost decent prints.)

I don't know where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.