Close

Troubleshooting my new 3D printer

Hello my name is Justin and I am new to the forum. I was directed here to hopefully get some help with my new printer. I recently purchased a Maker-bot replicator 2 slightly used 170 hours, from a friend. As you can see below the small prints turn out amazing with very little flaws. My main goal for this printer was to create props such as helmets etc. I have been attempting to print an iron man helmet in 5 sections. I have repaired a few different files that I downloaded off thingieverse and industructable.

Problem: When i attempt larger prints the prints will mess up typically the last 10-15% of the build. Sometimes the extruder goes out of alignment and throws plastic everywhere. Or it may print 3 lines with no filament as if there is a clog and then start up 3 lines up and start laying plastic higher then the model. There are a few other problems that arise but these are the most common. Any print over 5 hours typically have problems.

Trouble shooting I have done:
    Checked the STL files, tried different files and repaired
    Did maintenance on the machine as the manufacture recommends
    Aligned print bed
    updated firm ware
    check quality of filament, different rolls

Here are a few photos, please let me know if there is something else I should try or troubleshoot. Maker bot tech support was no help and wanted to charge $100+ for help by phone even after the device was registered for the first time 2 days ago.

20151220_154912.jpg

20151221_110159.jpg

20151221_125507.jpg

2015122195095422.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OverClocked; 12-22-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Wow, that is pretty dramatic, unfortunately I have no idea what could be causing that.

EDIT: Maybe bed level??

Thanks for the reply, but I have adjusted it several times.

thanks anyways

Found a solution here if anyone else has the same issue. The grinding noise that I was experiencing was on the right side where a wire was getting snagged and throwing the X axis out of alignment. I never in a million years would have guessed it was a wire from a faulty design.

Solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd8y-dQVgoM

Thank you

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Nice Find! Glad you got it resolved.