Ok... point by point

Quote Originally Posted by LT.Son View Post
... Replicator G recognizes it as...
Do not use RepG. This is very old software that has not seen development in years (2008 I believe). You will only use it to fine your printers acceleration settings and the like. Use Makerware 2.4 (it is free) or you can buy Simplify 3D. Both will give you infinitely better results. Note: with Makerware you will need to set up a custom profile.

Printing with PLA at 230° platform at 110°.
Bonkers temps for PLA. Extruder should at about 200 degrees and the bed no hotter than 60 degrees. The glass temp of PLA is 65 degrees so anything above that and print be too soft and deform.

I have taped a sheet of paper over the front of the printer to trap the hot air inside better. Should I do something similar over the top of the machine?
Worst thing you can do. PLA needs very active cooling due to its low glass point. Open her up (front and top) and point a desk fan into the chamber.

That's very ambitious print for a first-timer. Start with something simple. Oh yes, you will need to calibrate your extruder. Please refer to the sailfish manual for an explanation on how to do this. Pay close attention to chapter 5.1.4.

Proftweak is good for editing custom profiles.

A download link for Makerware 2.4 (x86 and x64) can be found here.