Close

Kossel Mini- Protrusions from the print

So I'm currently trying to design some dice for my friend, however, the printer seems to be producing too much filament around some of the details of the die. If the excess is large enough it appears to be a loop. However, I'm not sure what I can do to fix it. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you.

P.S. I'm printing with PLA on a non heated bed with a bowden extruder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try reducing your extrusion amount. If your printer has an LCD you might be able to find a flow tune/adjust in the menu there. You can also reduce flow via the flow multiplier in a lot of the slicing software.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyImperial View Post
    Try reducing your extrusion amount. If your printer has an LCD you might be able to find a flow tune/adjust in the menu there. You can also reduce flow via the flow multiplier in a lot of the slicing software.
    Thanks for the tip! So I ended up measuring how much filament was extruded for 50 mm and it was around 55! So I went into marlin and reduced the steps in e axis to 90 vs 100. Now extrusion is within ~1 mm or so.
    However, after printing the cube the results were disappointing. The top of the die is now quite accurate as is the bottom but those protrusions are still there! I've tested retraction and it's already set to 5mm from my understanding there is probably a different issue with the printer if you go above 5 mm of retraction.
    I'm thinking it might just be a hardware issue. I've got about 6 inches maybe even more of slack on the bowden tube that I think I'm going to remove. Maybe the slack is messing with the retraction?

Yeah the length of the bowden tube can definitely effect retraction. I'm actually fighting a similar problem with my Kossel.

I ended up moving my extruder to the top of my Kossel in effort to shorten up the bowden tube. It improved oozing a bit, but not as much as I would have hoped.

Oozing can also be reduced with lower print temperatures. Maybe try reducing your temp by 5c and try again?

Also, 5mm is standard but I've heard of people using 7mm retractions on a bowden system.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyImperial View Post
    Yeah the length of the bowden tube can definitely effect retraction. I'm actually fighting a similar problem with my Kossel.

I ended up moving my extruder to the top of my Kossel in effort to shorten up the bowden tube. It improved oozing a bit, but not as much as I would have hoped.

Oozing can also be reduced with lower print temperatures. Maybe try reducing your temp by 5c and try again?

Also, 5mm is standard but I've heard of people using 7mm retractions on a bowden system.
    I decreased the bowden tube by about 9 inches and the oozing has reduced by 50% or so. After doing some more research it seems that faster speeds can help with oozing problems as well so I'll be trying that later today. I print very slowly but it seems at this point it might by a detriment
    I'll mess with temps today as well and see how low I can go.