Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Balazs91 View Post
    Thank you LambdaFF, it helped me a lot! I'll start to learn more about those composite printers.
    Hey, I think there is a misunderstanding. While there IS a printer doing carbon fibers (think MARK ONE), I was talking about making a mold in plastic then putting a release agent (silicon ? PTFE ?) and putting resin and carbon fiber / glass fiber on it to make the part. The (huge) advantage is that for each ply of fabric you manually put in the mold, you can choose the fiber direction thus fully optimizing strength in the desired directions.
    Once the resin is cured the release agent will help you separate the part from the mold.
    You can then reuse the mold to make more identical parts.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Hey, I think there is a misunderstanding. While there IS a printer doing carbon fibers (think MARK ONE), I was talking about making a mold in plastic then putting a release agent (silicon ? PTFE ?) and putting resin and carbon fiber / glass fiber on it to make the part. The (huge) advantage is that for each ply of fabric you manually put in the mold, you can choose the fiber direction thus fully optimizing strength in the desired directions.
    Once the resin is cured the release agent will help you separate the part from the mold.
    You can then reuse the mold to make more identical parts.
    This. 3D printing cannot achieve this.