Close

Hybrid View

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.
    A few questions and comments..

1. Is printing ABS unrealistic at this time? Why does it need a enclosure? I just feel it's most durable for what I'd like to do.
    2. I'm going to just forget about having a 10 x 10 x 10 build size. I can just build in smaller sizes and piece things together.
    3. That Monoprice China company scares me. Read up a bit on these forums, and one fellow had one that essentially self destructed. Maybe I just need to open my mind.
    4. What's the difference between the Printrbot Metal and Plus? They look quite similar, but the Printrbot metal is quite a bit cheaper.

Because of Printrbot's well known reputation, I feel that maybe I will start there. On Amazon.com, I'm able to find a Printrbot Simple with a heated bed for $750. Sweet. But, I have to be patient and wait until I'm certain on what I'm buying. Once again, I really appreciate everyone's time and effort they've put into helping me discover a printer that suits my needs.
    Hopefully others in my situation, especially with Christmas around the corner, will be able to look upon this thread and find some useful information.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychophoria View Post
    1. Is printing ABS unrealistic at this time? Why does it need a enclosure? I just feel it's most durable for what I'd like to do.
    Have you given consideration to try PET ? It doesn't warp, it doesn't require a 110°C heated bed, it doesn't smell (as much), it melts above 85°C which is probably OK for whatever you have in mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Psychophoria View Post
    4. What's the difference between the Printrbot Metal and Plus? They look quite similar, but the Printrbot metal is quite a bit cheaper.
    The Printrbot line has 3 products : the Play, the Simple and the Plus. They used to be in wood, so when they shifted to metal contruction they named them the Metal Plus, the Metal Simple...
    The Plus has 10*10*10 inch volume, the Simple is smaller but you can upgrade the Z and Y axis with some kits so I think you can reach 6*8*10 volume. I'd say both are interesting for you.

If I were to build an enclosure, would the Printrbot Simple or Plus be acceptable for ABS?