There are 3d printers on aliexpress that have sold over 2000 units , the reviews are 4.7 stars and higher .The reviews also includes the seller , if you run into problems the seller is there to back it up, so for you to say "'With a Chinese company : whatever you get, once you have it, you're stuck with it."",Try tell the 50 million visitors and 30 million items sold in 24 hours sale on aliexpress a week ago , i don't know where you get your information when you make such foolish statement

if you would rather buy the same product for twice the money ,with a different name from a US or Canadian CO.etc . that's up to you . I will say a person should try buy local if you can ,this printer i have on order was not available in my country ,at the same time I would rather go by the reviews of the the buyers then believe the ads of any co.

your other quote again is wrong ,, plywood is better than metal but acrylic is a big no no,,

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE APPLICATION ,, plywood base helps lower vibration, i think it would add a lot to mix g3 printer so it could be moved around ,and if need be could add extra support with little or no cost , I can not see why you would use 20 lbs of metal for a base

student asked a good question ,, and my answer to is go to your aliexpress page ,read the reviews and when you see lots off reviews on 3d printer with 4 .7 stars or higher you will not go wrong ,, there is nothing wrong with acrylic frame if you plan to set it up and leave it in one place .
In my case I have a number of homes so acrylic frame would not be the way to go ,since the printer must be mobile

There is no better teacher for a student then buying a 3d printer that needs a lot of setting up and tweaking and the cheap 3d printer with good reviews is the way to go ,

GO FOR IT and its a great Christmas gift to yourself ,you deserve it