Quote Originally Posted by dmehling View Post
I'm not that familiar with much of the 3-D printing terminology yet, so I don't quite understand everything you said. I have created another design where I have indicated the thickness of the sections, just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing.

As far as shells and infills are concerned, is there a scaling principle involved based on the thickness of the material? For example, I read an explanation of shells and infills, and based on the example pictures of a cube measuring 1 cubic inch, three shells appeared to be only a millimeter thick. And a 25% infill appeared to have chambers/cells that were about 2 millimeters across. Now, I can understand using three shells for my design if the vertical thickness is 1.5 millimeter, but with 25% infill, I don't quite see how that would work. So that's why I was wondering if the size would be scaled down. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

For most printers, if there is no room for the number of selected shells AND infill, the printer will print as many shells as it can, basically rendering the object 100% solid.

Also, if you'd like I can help you out with prototyping.