Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
Just to be clear... I don't know the answer. There has been a lot of good success stories about using inductive probes but they always seem to be associated with very high dollar parts. Not a $5.95 part from eBay.

But what I do know for sure is even the cheapest micro-switch from China bought off of eBay will produce very good results if the rest of your mechanics are good. I am using almost the cheapest one possible. It looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Roller-L...wAAOxycgVTfqZ2

And I can get .002 mm repeat-ability every time. Given I usually print with .28 mm layers, the micro-switch isn't the source of any problems I hit.

I also very readily hit high precision (I can hit 0.15mm first layers once the machine is calibrated). The micro switch/servo method is not bad by any means. I just wanted to know, if a 6 dollar part could possibly improve it.

The brackets are made of ABS, and since I run my machines very hot (I print a lot of Polycarbonate) the ABS bracketry that supports the switch and servo, over time, starts to warp. I could have the parts machined out of aluminum but I would rather not since I have many machines and this will be costly.