Quote Originally Posted by iplayfast View Post
If you had an old style record player, and had a way of tracking how many times a second it rotated, you could then take a picture at the precise interval that the turntable would be rotated at any degree.
Also if you took a series of pictures of something rotating on a turntable, and found the "degree of closeness" to one image you would get a sign wave where the peaks would be where pictures were exactly alike. That would determine the period of the turntable.
Nice... so for the scanner turntable in the campaign video I did something very similar... I was pretty dam broke at the time so I just used the stuff we had around the whorehouse ( I was pretty much living in a where house lol )
I took my brothers skate board and mounted a dumbbell weight to one of the wheels. Next I recorded a video of the paper crane spinning on the platform. It was easy to edit the video so that I had just one rotation, and then turn the video frames into pngs.
If I had 100 pictures then 360/ 100 = 3.6 .... each picture was 3.6 deg rotated from the last. Love you idea to find sine waves from high spots on the model! I had not thought of that, It would be a great way to automatically synchronize multiple scans of the same object too.
If there are multiple high spots out of phase then for some objects there will be unique phase offsets for spots on the model, and further more placing an object off centre on the platform may simply add one big carrier wave that all the other sine waves ride on.