Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by steveseers View Post
    .. Also, I'm not sure that most scanners in the lower price range can really scan 0.1mm. Why would all the scans look so blobby? Or is that a result of some kind of noise reduction?

Hugues, Bobby Lin, dklassen: You seem happy with your scanners. What kinds of things are you guys scanning?
    Hi,

My Einscan1 can scan at 0.1mm. I scanned a plane and measured the deviations with Meshlab. You can also look at the attached picture. I scanned my motorbike helmet. At the back of it, they have embossed NOLAN. The thickness of the emboss is 0.1 mm with round edges, same colour as the surrounding. The scanner picked it up. No blobs.

These days i'm scanning mostly parts on my motorbike, which i then bring into my CAD, then design other parts around the scanned part, to mate with it.

NOLAN helmet.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    Hi,

My Einscan1 can scan at 0.1mm. I scanned a plane and measured the deviations with Meshlab. You can also look at the attached picture. I scanned my motorbike helmet. At the back of it, they have embossed NOLAN. The thickness of the emboss is 0.1 mm with round edges, same colour as the surrounding. The scanner picked it up. No blobs.

These days i'm scanning mostly parts on my motorbike, which i then bring into my CAD, then design other parts around the scanned part, to mate with it.

NOLAN helmet.jpg
    Hello,

I'm new in the 3d printer world.... I know nothing regarding 3d scanner but your post is very interesting.

I would like to use a 3d scanner for job. I work in a mechanical company and I need to scan some parts in order to save time, compared to draw them.

did you scanned some parts of your motorcycle? what kind of file do you get by scanning? it's a .step file? I will to manage them with solidworks 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    Hello,

I'm new in the 3d printer world.... I know nothing regarding 3d scanner but your post is very interesting.

I would like to use a 3d scanner for job. I work in a mechanical company and I need to scan some parts in order to save time, compared to draw them.

did you scanned some parts of your motorcycle? what kind of file do you get by scanning? it's a .step file? I will to manage them with solidworks 2015
    Hi Andrea,

You cannot get directly a traditional volumetric CAD file with this scanner (and most scanners i guess).

You can get a mesh file, extension is .stl, or also .obj.

I did scan many parts of my motorbike. What I do is build other parts in CAD (I use AUtodesk Fusion 360) around the scan. ADF 360 has a function where you can "pull" your CAD design to stick to the scanned mesh for example, can be very useful.