Close

few peachy questions

Hi guys. Here are few questions which I ahven't found an answer for.

1) Can other types or resin be used with the Peachy printer? What kind?
    I have no problem with "Peachy juice", its just shipping a litre of anything to my country costs a lot and takes a long time. And I'd like to use something cheaper and easier/quicker to get for testing and getting used to the printer.

2) "Minimum wall thickness: 0.2 mm" from the official site. But compared to other non-laser FFF printer prints at 100 microns the layer lines aren't very noitceable. Is that just old info or do resins just not have that problem with noticeable lines?

3) 1. I don't know anything about this resin. What is its melting temperature? Some people create plastic molds with ABS. Can I do something similar with Peachy?

2. Are they always semitransparent like the test prints, or can I have opaque ones?

3. Can it be finished with sandpaper and acetone like ABS and PLA printer prints if needed?

4. Can the resin be recycled/reused somehow?

4) The containers you can get with the printer, what is their volume?

5) And finally, what is the shipping date if I have backed up the project *after* the Kickstarter campaign?

many thanks.

Technician
    python, the lines are from the layer heights (Z axis) and the alpha peachies have had layer heights around 0.001 mm and is controlled by the drip speed AND(mostly) area of the lower tank ie the larger the tank, the larger the item that can be made, the finer the z axis resoultion and the longer the build time

Engineer-in-Training
    We aren't totally sure about the resin at the moment. As far as I know, makerjuice is the only retailer of resin, but there are other sources. Check the makerjuice material sheets on their website, and see if there is a supplier of photo sensitive resin near you.

You can make mold positives with the peachy.

Print lines; that's old info. More recent prints are glass smooth. We don't know it's full capabilities yet, but check the kick starter updates or threads here for more recent prints.

You can have opaque prints, but the resin is flexible. You can get clear or opaque, rubber, semi stiff, and very stiff. All of the options are not yet known to us.

You can probably sand and acetone to smooth a print, but I am not 100% on this. Acetone is a good solvent, should work.

Unused resin can be syphoned off for later use. Cured prints, as of now, are not recyclable into more prints. No way to turn it back to resin that I know of.

You only get containers if you add them on. They will be suitable, but it is not currently known order in stone. I bet they will be similar to the video on the kick starter.

October.

Thank you!

Yes I've added the containers in the Peachy store. But i couldn't find info about their size.

I asked about melting temperature of the resin because people use ABS for creating molds because they say its melting temperature is high and you can use it for few weak metals.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuvin View Post
    You can have opaque prints, but the resin is flexible. You can get clear or opaque, rubber, semi stiff, and very stiff. All of the options are not yet known to us..
    I didnt mean the stifness. I meant the translucency of the finished print (see-through).
    Last edited by python; 02-07-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Technician
    from all of the ks , peachey website photos and the ones posted in this area, the resins ARE translucent, to nearly clear, and from what was said during the ks it might be adjustable by the amount of 'dye/colourant' in the resin during printing AND the thickness of the print

Super Moderator
    What country? Makerjuice has resellers in Switzerland and Australia, which might help cut down on your shipping costs.

Also, the resin is perfectly capable of being opaque. See these prints. It just depends on how much of the dye you add.

I'm in Armenia. right from Turkey and above Iran. Maybe a reseller in Russia would help a little, but I'm not sure how much.

That's good to know.

So final questions remain:

1) What is the melting temperature of these resins?

2) What is the volume of the "official" containers that you can choose to get with Peachy?

No offense. is this the official peachy printer forum? I expected a response on this.

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by python View Post
    No offense. is this the official peachy printer forum? I expected a response on this.
    Hey python thanks for all the great questions and also thank you everyone else for answering them so well!!

here is a bit more info.

1 This is the unofficial peachy printer form ( and the people here are awesome )

2 The Resin formula is not yet complete so we dont really know what the final properties of the resin are ( and we haven't tested using it in a molding or casting process yet)

3 The volume of the containers that we sell with the peachy is also still undecided, thats because the peachy printer is in development and as it gets better we hope to do bigger prints faster,
    only time will tell what build volumes give the best trade off between speed, laser focus, resolution, cost, etc.

4. Acetone dose not dissolve our resin, but there is an easy way do a similar thing, simply dip the print in resin for 1 second and spin it in the sun for 4 seconds, repeat until your print is completely smooth.
    This may be a valuable thing to do if you chose to print with thicker layers that produce artifacts like in conventional fdm printers. or you could also simply avoid the problem in the first place by printing with a high resolution in the z, high z resolution is something the peachy printer is very very good at.

5. There are likely other resins that could work with the peachy printer. The peachy would definitely have to be re tuned to use another resin, changes in the light exposed per layer and perhaps even changing
    the laser wave length to something other than 405 nm, We will provide you with the software tools to make these changes and will are excited to see peachy printer modifications like this!
    Having said that we chose to work with Josh Ellis at maker juice because he is very focused on making the best resin at the best price for the maker community. Maker Juice existed long before it looked like
    a profitable venture and Josh Has put tones of good will towards the cause. Resin used to cost 200 USD per liter, Josh is changing that and fast.
    Last edited by rylangrayston; 02-09-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post
    3 The volume of the containers that we sell with the peachy is also still undecided, thats because the peachy printer is in development and as it gets better we hope to do bigger prints faster,
    Thanks. I've chosen to buy the The Telescoping Mount & Reservoir Add On , so I thought it was already made.

4. Acetone dose not dissolve our resin, but there is an easy way do a similar thing, simply dip the print in resin for 1 second and spin it in the sun for 4 seconds, repeat until your print is completely smooth.
    That's a neat idea.

5. There are likely other resins that could work with the peachy printer. The peachy would definitely have to be re tuned to use another resin, changes in the light exposed per layer and perhaps even changing
    the laser wave length to something other than 405 nm, We will provide you with the software tools to make these changes and will are excited to see peachy printer modifications like this!
    Great!

Having said that we chose to work with Josh Ellis at maker juice because he is very focused on making the best resin at the best price for the maker community. Maker Juice existed long before it looked like
    a profitable venture and Josh Has put tones of good will towards the cause. Resin used to cost 200 USD per liter, Josh is changing that and fast.
    I don't mind paying a little more for a good quality resin. The problem is shipping litres of anything to my country will maybe cost 50% of the price and/or take weeks to be delivered. Since I'm likely going to end up wasting a lot of resin just for testing purposes, I may have no other option.