Close

Is an HP Acquisition of Stratasys on Its Way?

A new research note from Jefferies written by analyst Jason North has reignited speculation that Hewlett-Packard might be thinking of buying their way into the 3D printing industry. North says that HP would need at least four different 3D printing technologies to compete, while they currently have only one that has yet to be released. Buying Stratasys or a direct competitor could save the company one to two years, and speed up their industry presence. You can read more about the buy in rumors over on 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/97608/will-hp-buy-stratasys/

So Stratasys bought Makerbot. Now HP are buying Stratasys.

I can see 3D printing being dumbed down more and more. Also HP have this 'replace it once it reached 12 months old' policy. I see a slew of very poorly made printers in the future...

What would HP gain? Instant street cred?

The whole story with all the 3D Systems acquisitions showed that buying a smaller company doesn't mean that you integrate its skillsets, knowledge, ... I can definitely believe that HP is desperate, but I don't see what they hope to gain : acquiring a company doesn't translate into a ground breaking new product in a year. Any action h older that believes that no longer has feet on the ground. If they have long term plans they may save HP, but if its a short term plan there will be no gain for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Also HP have this 'replace it once it reached 12 months old' policy. I see a slew of very poorly made printers in the future...
    And there is definitely that too.

Having a policy to replace a commercial 3D printing system after one yr. would be ridiculous. Annual preventative maintenance - yes. Full replacements - business suicide. Not going to happen.

So I'm still wondering what HP gains with an acquisition and how their business model would be focused. I've heard things from buying a company with established reseller dynamics to 'partnering' with service bureaus to pump out materials. I also wonder where they see their best fit and how their corporate culture would mix with established industry culture. And would an acquisition ultimately provide more 3D jobs?

It looks like this Stratasys acquisition rumor is one that can finally be put to rest. According to an analyst, HP has little SSYS or DDD acquisition desires; and in fact the title of the article warns that HP could "torch" 3D Systems and Stratasys. So...no acquisitions, just come in the market and start torching the competition. Quite bold, yes? They must have quite a system.

“(HP) indicates little interest in acquiring either Stratasys or 3D Systems, which surprises us.”