Close

what are heated bed benefits?

I am new to this, so what are benefits of heated bed? what if I buy a printer without heated bed, what Cant I do with that?

Engineer-in-Training
    Heated beds allow you to print higher temperature materials. For example, for printing ABS you will almost certainly need a heated bed, as without, ABS doesn't really stick to the platform, or curls and warps easily. More exotic filaments have different properties too, so some of those may need a heated bed for the best printing results. Even some filaments, such as PLA which traditionally don't need a heated bed, print very well with a heated bed too (for example, purple glue stick and a 70C heated bed works even better than blue painters tape)

Also keep in mind what you want to print. If you want to print flexible objects with filaments such as NinjaFlex, then you may want to look more at direct drive machines, instead of those with bowden extruders (think printrbot vs a delta printer) as bowden printers do not work well with flexible printers. An all-metal hot end is probably just as important as a heated bed, as it will allow you to print much higher heat filaments such as polycarbonates as well.

Ryan