Close

Page 67 of 411 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
    I received my Qidi last Thurs, and it's been a blast getting up the speed on it! I've only been printing with the orange PLA that came with it so far, and I'm pleased with the results. Not that I haven't had any issues, but for basic non-challenging part geometries, it's performed great. I've been printing straight onto the blue mat that it came with, and at 60C, it was a pain to get parts off of it. Further tweaking might work, but so far I'm at 55C at layer 1, 50C at layer 2, and 45C after that. Parts stick down well, and it's not too hard to wedge a razor blade under to pop them off. Haven't used any rafts yet.

First mods will be a downward cooling duct (will probably design my own using the squirrel fan), and printing parts for a custom spool rack setup in my office closet. There's also some test parts and kid parts interspersed in there as well. :-)

So far so good, but definitely some mods needed as I learn about 3d printing. Fun stuff!

Add rcleav on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by smythe View Post
    I received my Qidi last Thurs, and it's been a blast getting up the speed on it! I've only been printing with the orange PLA that came with it so far, and I'm pleased with the results. Not that I haven't had any issues, but for basic non-challenging part geometries, it's performed great. I've been printing straight onto the blue mat that it came with, and at 60C, it was a pain to get parts off of it. Further tweaking might work, but so far I'm at 55C at layer 1, 50C at layer 2, and 45C after that. Parts stick down well, and it's not too hard to wedge a razor blade under to pop them off. Haven't used any rafts yet.

First mods will be a downward cooling duct (will probably design my own using the squirrel fan), and printing parts for a custom spool rack setup in my office closet. There's also some test parts and kid parts interspersed in there as well. :-)

So far so good, but definitely some mods needed as I learn about 3d printing. Fun stuff!
    Welcome to the club. it's can get addictive and even frustrating at times but there nothing like the feeling you get from designing then printing your first part.

Technician
    I am not sure about anyone else but the orange PLA that comes with the machine is amazing. It works with almost 100% success rate for me and is so good that practically all my stuff is in orange.

Technician
    Can you detail your RGB mod? As I understand it, it's not trivial since the board is missing some key surface mount components right? You must be a good solderer.

Quote Originally Posted by KludgeGuru View Post
    I had my whole machine apart yesterday. I modified the control board so I can add the RGB Led light strip. I don't have an RGB Led light strip yet but the control board is ready for it.

I also replaced the small noisy fan on the bottom with a large quiet 120mm... it doesn't fit so I kludged it in temporarily, currently I can't put the bottom plate back on, I'll remedy that once I get a thinner fan. Now I can't even hear the machine when it is idling. Once it gets running I can still hear the power supply fan and the extruder fans but it is much better getting rid of that small junk fan they put on there.

While I had the bottom off I organized the wires to allow better airflow around the stepper drivers.

I should receive my Maghold plate on Thursday and I've almost ordered the 12mm rods... just waiting for the price on amazon to drop below $10 each. A couple days ago they were $13, yesterday $16 and today $12. camelcamelcamel.com shows they can get down to around $6.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, it still prints after taking everything apart and putting it back together!

Technician
    Hmm.

(Start) Motor == cable_chaindrivemount == cable_chainunit == cable_chainmount OR cable_start (End) ??

Just curious - could you just print out the start, plus one chain unit piece, the end piece and use something like flexible cable tubes in the middle?

http://www.cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored.html

Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
    I only printed 2 parts other than the chain, I'm using 15 chain links.

First part is chaindrivemount, it mounts on the back of the motor.

Then you need the mount. I used the 'cablemount' part, but now that I look at the bits I'm thinking 'chainstart' is the better part for the Qidi. It mounts to a cable hold screw.
    Theres mine together, working like a champ

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
    Hmm.

(Start) Motor == cable_chaindrivemount == cable_chainunit == cable_chainmount OR cable_start (End) ??

Just curious - could you just print out the start, plus one chain unit piece, the end piece and use something like flexible cable tubes in the middle?

http://www.cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored.html
    If your gonna do it that way I would suggest a single chain link on each side (one link at the start, and one link at the motor mount), then run the flexi-tube between the 2 links. I really don't think you would have an issue running it like that long as the tube is connected on each side well.

Thanks to everyone's help, comments, and recommendations I've been able to fairly consistently create PLA parts. Now I've ventured into using the second extruder to create PVA supports. I've tried every temperature between 160 and 195 with no success. The PVA comes out of the nozzle and simply curls up rather than stick to the bed or the PLA.

Does anyone have any recommendations for PVA settings? Now I'm noticing clicking when I load the PVA and only a little extrudes out at the point of loading. Does this suggest that I have blockage or that the temperature is too low? I've read that going over 200 deg will harden the PVA in the nozzle.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm addicted to this thread almost as much as I'm addicted to using my Qidi.

Engineer-in-Training
    Has anyone printed with NinjaFlex on the Qidi?

Interested in it for making some gaskets for an electroplating rig. Does it print with the stock Qidi setup? Or do some mods need to be made.

Engineer-in-Training
    For some reason my machine wont go to full zero on z axis when it starts a print. This causes all prints to fail right off, as the material is dropping out of the nozzle, not sticking to the plate, its visable. Plate is leveled very well.
    Using the Home Axis command in machine menu and it will raise the plate till the limiter is tripped, but does not do so when a print starts.
    Any suggestions?

This is aggrivating...I know the issue, just not how to fix it.

Hi, My printer should be reaching me on Monday, I understand this printer works with Makerware and ReplicatorG. Which of these software would work better with the default settings? I am new to 3D printing so am I wondering which software will be easier to work with. I plan to get S3D later but need to use something for the time being.

Thanks.

Page 67 of 411 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast