Close

Page 204 of 341 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254304 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 4110

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I tried to compensate for poor design choices by gluing a part back together which had broken under stress. (You all know how this story goes.) First I used super glue, a Loc-tite Ultragel variety, it appeared to work but came apart under mild stress. I next tried acetone on both surfaces, waited a few seconds and then forced them together for 5 minutes with mild finger pressure. It seems to have worked, at least long enough to get the assembly together. The process of assembly was actually the stress factor, so it will hopefully remain functional in place. At least until I have to take it apart and reassemble it. ;-)
    This is why I do everything with pegs. Of course that don't really help with something that breaks.
    I have never had good luck with using just acetone to glue parts together. However I had some luck with with making very runny ABS slury to glue stuff together. Its just a pain to work with, like messing with bondo. You gotta be on point and have no time to correct mistakes if any are made. Course ya dont gat much time with superglue either..but its far less mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
    Of course you haven't...
    Almost everything I have printed needing glued together has been done with superglue. And not a single thing has come apart yet. Some things have been well tested too.
    Don't know what to tell ya. Only thing I can think of is the parts are not going together well enough for glue to create good bond.
    No idea but I am thinking of switching to the Loctite brand next time but I rarely need to glue parts together.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    No idea but I am thinking of switching to the Loctite brand next time but I rarely need to glue parts together.
    Oddly enough I have had far better luck with generic off brands of these glues than any namebrand (including Loctite).

The one I have found that works best so far is actually the Wal-mart brand...what most would typically take as a cheap knockofff.
    They come 4 tubes to a pack, packaging is mostly yellow. The tubes are black with little yellow band up by the tip. They say only 'Super Glue' on the front of the tube.
    Can't even count the number of times I passed these right over trying the various name-brand option. Send my wife to get supplies one day, she brings me this glue back, have only purchased this type since.

Super Moderator
    Oddly enough I have had far better luck with generic off brands of these glues than any namebrand (including Loctite).

The one I have found that works best so far is actually the Wal-mart brand...what most would typically take as a cheap knockofff.
    They come 4 tubes to a pack, packaging is mostly yellow. The tubes are black with little yellow band up by the tip. They say only 'Super Glue' on the front of the tube.
    Can't even count the number of times I passed these right over trying the various name-brand option. Send my wife to get supplies one day, she brings me this glue back, have only purchased this type since.
    Ha Ha! Just bought some of that yesterday.

See I had been using the Dollar Tree Superglue, and Crazy Glue since they are not knock offs but the real deal I grew up with but they suck. Hell, I can't even get them to work on plain "non printed" plastic either. Oh, I can get them to stick my fingers together though but not much else (thank goodness for Acetone), lol. I tried the gel and the liquid but both sucked equally well.

Technician
    After playing with supports, I final decided to cut one of my parts in half so both ends could face up. I'm using Krazy Glue to glue the PLA together, and it works well. The secret for me is pressing for several seconds, and then several more. It's like water right up until the point where it starts sticking, then it's really stuck. I've used it on ABS as well with the same effect, for a pendant that was two-sided.

Super Moderator
    Anyone have any idea why this (see highlighted area) no longer lights up or shows the correct "set" temperature when the extruder starts to heat? In the pic the extruder is set to 200 and is heating, it is showing the current temp however. The light for heat bed works correctly. This used to work.

[IMG][/IMG]

Additional info: The light and target temp work when running on extruder 1 (right extruder) but not when using the left extruder.
    Last edited by wirlybird; 07-19-2016 at 06:55 AM.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    Anyone have any idea why this (see highlighted area) no longer lights up or shows the correct "set" temperature when the extruder starts to heat? In the pic the extruder is set to 200 and is heating, it is showing the current temp however. The light for heat bed works correctly. This used to work.
    I don't use the USB control too much, so I can't answer your question. Weren't you extending the USB by 75' or so? Could that be involved?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I don't use the USB control too much, so I can't answer your question. Weren't you extending the USB by 75' or so? Could that be involved?
    I don't think so because everything else is working without a flaw. Also the bed heating lite and target temp are working. It was working but stopped but I don't know why!

It's like something in the software changed but I have no idea what.

Super Moderator
    How did we live without 3D printers?! Had a busted clip for the bottom of a mini blind so I built a new one!

This one was printed @ 200. Trying another @ 195 then 190. 190 seems to be the target temp for this PLA. At 200 bad stringing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 204 of 341 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254304 ... LastLast