Close

Hybrid View

Weird glass build plate problem - heat-related

I replaced the blue plastic with 1/4 boro glass stuck to the aluminum platform using nothing but a full sheet of Gino. Prints great. Problem: the glass plate has a lot more thermal mass than the blue pad which is causing the following scenario: If I print something, then print another thing immediately following, the printer never thinks it reaches temperature and stays in heatup mode indefinitely. When this happens the build plate is actually warmer than the setpoint, for example, for a 40º setpoint the build plate will hover around 50ºc. The extruder heatup never kicks in. So it seems that the algorithm is stuck waiting for the build plate to reach temperature when it actually has to cool. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Anyone know of any firmware parameters or PID settings that could be tweaked to deal with this?

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PatPend View Post
    I replaced the blue plastic with 1/4 boro glass stuck to the aluminum platform using nothing but a full sheet of Gino. Prints great. Problem: the glass plate has a lot more thermal mass than the blue pad which is causing the following scenario: If I print something, then print another thing immediately following, the printer never thinks it reaches temperature and stays in heatup mode indefinitely. When this happens the build plate is actually warmer than the setpoint, for example, for a 40º setpoint the build plate will hover around 50ºc. The extruder heatup never kicks in. So it seems that the algorithm is stuck waiting for the build plate to reach temperature when it actually has to cool. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Anyone know of any firmware parameters or PID settings that could be tweaked to deal with this?
    When the build plate is warmer than the setpoint the printer will wait for a little while for it to cool. If it does not cool down quickly enough the printer will time out with a message on the LCD stating that the build plate never got to the correct temperature. I suggest letting the build plate cool a bit until it is close to the target temp, then kick off the print.