Close

Hybrid View

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by JSensebe View Post
    Here's my ugly ABS calibration cube. The extrusion temp. was 230°C, the bed was 110°C, the feed rate 60, travel feed rate 100. 100% infill, as a calibration cube should be. My guess is that it might be cooling down too fast.
    So that's your calibration cube when printing at 100%. How often do you really print at 100% infill? I would think that you would want to calibrate at the way you normally print, i.e., at the infill percent you print at.

Hey guys! Just got my QIDI last week and have been playing around with it. I can get pretty decent results out of PLA but am having an issue with ABS. I'm printing at 230C on the extruder and 110C on the stock bed, with gluestick. Adhesion doesn't seem to be the issue. Basically on wall-like structures, on the backside I always get some deformities in the wall.

I thought maybe the issue was a bent rod I noticed in the back of the printer, but QIDI support insists this rod will not affect print quality (it's the rod in the back, on top). Here is a video of it where you can see it going up and down as it prints:
    https://youtu.be/wSiN_kIiowo

Here is the front-side of a test cube in Hatchbox ABS, which looks alright:

And here it is from the back, where the issue shows up every time:

I'd appreciate any input or ideas!

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by JimHs1 View Post
    So that's your calibration cube when printing at 100%. How often do you really print at 100% infill? I would think that you would want to calibrate at the way you normally print, i.e., at the infill percent you print at.
    The purpose of a cube is not to calibrate, but to test for filament buildup from over extrusion. If you do it at less infill than 100 then you will throw off the test.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    The purpose of a cube is not to calibrate, but to test for filament buildup from over extrusion. If you do it at less infill than 100 then you will throw off the test.
    Well, technically, it is for calibration, just not necessarily for dimensional accuracy.

Anyway, I found my build plate wasn't as level as I thought it was, so I re-leveled it and tried again, with similar results. I think the fans are cooling things down too much. Though I'm set to 230°, when the fans come on, the extruder struggles to keep 220°. I guess I either have to disable the fans or raise the extruder temperature to compensate. I'll hack the G-code and make a third attempt later.