Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Merijeek View Post
    So, I ordered some borosilicate glass from McMaster-Carr and it finally arrived. I've got a print for a 5mm Z-axis spacer printing now.

Any special cautions or tips on this stuff? Just use binder clips and AquaNet?
    I use only Gino to attach it to the plate, no need for clips.

What thickness did you get? My original was 1/4" and a chunk pulled out of it when removing an ABS piece. Went to 1/8" and haven't had any issues so far.

I've been using borosilicate glass for a couple of weeks now. I started with Aquanet just as others have. I found it messy and sticking too well with ABS even when cooled down. I've gone back to the standard glue stick. This is working great for me. Clean up is a breeze with soap and water after 2-4 prints. BTW, I use one large binder clip with corner clips. The top "handle" of the binder clip is bent down to provide clearance from the stepper belt.

Technician
    I ordered 3/16ths, since that was recommended.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by PatPend View Post

What thickness did you get? My original was 1/4" and a chunk pulled out of it when removing an ABS piece. Went to 1/8" and haven't had any issues so far.
    I've heard of the chunking issue before and it has happened to one of my pieces before. I just use the other side and has been good since. You can try to call McMaster if you got it from them. Some have said they will replace the glass. I guess they can have a defect and chunk out on occasion. Try not to lift straight up when removing an object. ABS if done right will auto release when fully cooled. Don't over do it with the "Stick Um" stuff or what ever you use.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PatPend View Post

I use 1/4" boro from McMaster as well. Had a small chunk of the glass come out with an ABS print, but I think I may have been too rough with it when removing the print. I flipped the glass over and have intentionally been more gentle. That was about 6 months ago and I've not repeated the problem.