Hi all... New on this forum, as my interest in 3D printing seems to ebb and flow, loosely linked to how many blockages or bad prints I get

I've had a Qidi Tech 1 for a few years, and had some moderate success with it, however, recently, I had problems with the right extruder... Stripped it down (yet again...) and it turned out to be a fried stepper motor controller module, then a dodgy connector on the stepper motor cable. Then I also noticed that extruder 0 wasn't wotking, and after some probing around (I'm a trained electronics engineer, so don't worry ) seems like the atmel chip has had a couple of pins fried...

So.
Option 1 was to buy a new atmel chip, and resolder it, but I was concerned that reprogramming it might be poorly documented/traumatic
Option 2 was to look out for a new controller board... seem to be few and far between, and expensive!
Option 3 was to bite the bullet and upgrade the controller board...

I went with option 3, as I like a challenge... So got a BTT SKR 1.3 installed now, with the TMC2209 driver modules. Still have a few more 'upgrades' to do, as it didn't like the stock thermocouples, and still have a bit of an issue with trying to use the stallguard homing on the board, but slowly getting there...

So, after the long waffle, just curious if others have successfully modified the base model, and what problems (with fixes hopefully) did they encounter?

(Forgive me if this is covered previously, but only just joined, and didn't relish wading through all the previous posts for potentially no gain...)