Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you need to enable the video for public viewing.

Looks like you're getting on well.

As far as abs versus pla goes. Personally I find pla stronger and more durable and a lot easier to print with.
    Actually the fact that it's dimensionally accurate is the biggest plus for me. That and the fact I can print it without rafts.

The most important thing in s3d to change - in my opinion - is the speed of the first layer. I've got mine currently set to 15% of printspeed. Just ensures that the first layer goes down really well. After that I usually print at between 40 and 70mm/s depending on filament type.

The other thing to change is to make sure the option to 'print all angles' is ticked (might not be that exact wording haven't got latest s3d on this particular computer)
    This gives you super strong infill and exsures that each layer bonds to the layer below creating a solid matrix.
    I usually use 10% infill and tringular pattern as it prints quick and gives all round support.
    For really strong parts that need to be both strong and flexible, I'll up the infill to 20% and use 4-5 outer shells and top and bottom layers.

I've made a part with s3d 3.0 at 40% infill that would be guarenteed to break if printed with makerware at anything less than 60%.

It is agreat program but you do need to put aside a fair bit of time to get the settings dialled in for your particular printer.
    Once you've done that - it really does become point and print.
    Haven't had a print fail in months, haven't had to calibrate the bed for months. Just load model, swipe the gluestick over the bed and print.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    you need to enable the video for public viewing.

Looks like you're getting on well.

As far as abs versus pla goes. Personally I find pla stronger and more durable and a lot easier to print with.
    Actually the fact that it's dimensionally accurate is the biggest plus for me. That and the fact I can print it without rafts.

The most important thing in s3d to change - in my opinion - is the speed of the first layer. I've got mine currently set to 15% of printspeed. Just ensures that the first layer goes down really well. After that I usually print at between 40 and 70mm/s depending on filament type.

The other thing to change is to make sure the option to 'print all angles' is ticked (might not be that exact wording haven't got latest s3d on this particular computer)
    This gives you super strong infill and exsures that each layer bonds to the layer below creating a solid matrix.
    I usually use 10% infill and tringular pattern as it prints quick and gives all round support.
    For really strong parts that need to be both strong and flexible, I'll up the infill to 20% and use 4-5 outer shells and top and bottom layers.

I've made a part with s3d 3.0 at 40% infill that would be guarenteed to break if printed with makerware at anything less than 60%.

It is agreat program but you do need to put aside a fair bit of time to get the settings dialled in for your particular printer.
    Once you've done that - it really does become point and print.
    Haven't had a print fail in months, haven't had to calibrate the bed for months. Just load model, swipe the gluestick over the bed and print.
    Thank you for those tips. I will spend some time tomorrow trying to dial in Simplify3D