Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator
    What do you guys recommend/use for first layer settings for PLA in S3D?

I am getting a little bit of incomplete lay down of the material - gaps etc on the first layer. I thought bed level but I am not sure.

I increased the extrusion multiplier from 90 to 95 and it helped a lot but it also made the subsequent final layers much "rougher" when compared to the same piece printed at 90 which prints really great. My thinking is I need to address only the first layer and not all layers. Does this make sense?

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    What do you guys recommend/use for first layer settings for PLA in S3D?

I am getting a little bit of incomplete lay down of the material - gaps etc on the first layer. I thought bed level but I am not sure.

I increased the extrusion multiplier from 90 to 95 and it helped a lot but it also made the subsequent final layers much "rougher" when compared to the same piece printed at 90 which prints really great. My thinking is I need to address only the first layer and not all layers. Does this make sense?
    I print with 100% extrusion multiplier and 100% first layer height for all my prints. Most important part is to dial in your initial z-gap or z-offset for the first layer. This is all dependent on the thickness of your business card or piece of paper you used to level your bed. Plug that value in as a negative value for z-offset. In my case z-offset is set to -0.25mm (the thickness of the business card I used to level my bed).

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
    I print with 100% extrusion multiplier and 100% first layer height for all my prints. Most important part is to dial in your initial z-gap or z-offset for the first layer. This is all dependent on the thickness of your business card or piece of paper you used to level your bed. Plug that value in as a negative value for z-offset. In my case z-offset is set to -0.25mm (the thickness of the business card I used to level my bed).

When I increased the multiplier to 95 the first layer was good but when it printed the final layer it was very rough to touch and visually. With the multiplier at 90 the final layer is perfect but the first layer suffers this is for PLA, I do use 100 for ABS.

I am trying first layer width and height adjustments to see what happens. I will also try the Z offset.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
    The initial gap you use for leveling doesn't need to be compensated for in Z height. Most of that initial gap is taken up by thermal expansion of the hotend. That is as long as you use a thin piece of paper. A business card is 3-4 as times as thick as a 20-24# paper.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    The initial gap you use for leveling doesn't need to be compensated for in Z height. Most of that initial gap is taken up by thermal expansion of the hotend. That is as long as you use a thin piece of paper. A business card is 3-4 as times as thick as a 20-24# paper.
    Good point. It has been easier for me to use a business card over a piece of paper, due to the rough texture of my build surface (buildtak on spring steel does not age well... bubbles everywhere)