Quote Originally Posted by 24c View Post
I'm doing test scans to try and get to grips with the different lighting options on some vapour blasted parts. Sorry Dave aka Nerv still using the turntable and small parts whilst I get to understand the process. I'm saving .stl files and they are massive, a 90mm piston is around 720 MB, if it manages to save it without crashing (the software gets to the end of the "complete" operation and then crashes and reverts back to the desktop)and that's 3 passes or scans. One thing is the scans look great when they are on screen, but when you "complete" the process they get distorted with extra artifacts. I'm generally seeing flat areas become layered with scale like deposits if I do additional scans to see hidden areas.
One of the issues I did have was the parts were moving or rocking slightly when using the turntable as the movements are quite quick. Obviously didn't have that issue with a lazy susan icing board.
A couple of questions.
Is there a way of seeing or reverting these scans or bodies as separate entities?
Do you have to use the .asc files, that are saved in the format xxx_ScanData_n.asc and possibly layer & align in Meshlab for example?
If you don't like an intermediate scan can you delete it and "continue" again.
Hi Mike,

let me try to answer some of your points above, and i guess Dave and Alfred will add some more

- be sure you have enough disk space on your bootcamp partition, mine was too small and the software was crashing when running out of disk space. Probably a point to fix for Alfred.
- Concerning file size: did you select high level of details ? probably. Try medium or even low level, that will reduce the stl file size and you might have still enough details
- the extra artifacts come from meshing. WHen you see your scan on screen, they are not "water tight". Meshing tries to close your scan to produce an stl file. If you don't have 360 degrees scans, the system will try to close the back side any way it can and creates these artifacts.
- Be sure all your scans are aligned by the software, or else you might see these scales, maybe it's your problem, not sure. Post a picture.
- YOu can delete a scan you don't want but before you need to click on ALign (for 3 points alignment). There there is a delete button, down left. It brings you back to your previous scan. ALfred: would be nice to have the delete button too on the screen where we see the mis-alignment.
- the only way to see the separate scans is to save them as point clouds. I was also trying to align them using Meshlab, but it's a pain in the neck, Einscan software is much better at auto-aligning the scans than yourself in Meshlab. Most of my scans auto -align properly, you will get there too, it's just a matter of a couple of hours of practice.

Re-read the post of DAve on tips and advices, all is there. YOu need to overlap your scans. I believe scanning with tripod is easier than with turntable, you should scan without turntable as per Dave's advice (and now mine )