Close

Makerbot 5th Gen Z18 auto unload filament mid print

Hi Guys,

I finally just got our printer working semi reliably again after a bunch of small random issues. I queued up a 10 hour print overnight hoping that I would walk in this morning to a finished print so we could stay on schedule for this product. Do you think that happened? Of course not!! I was greeted this morning with a print stopped halfway thru and an message about filament being unloaded. Now im running the latest versions of makerbot desktop and printer firmware, and have filament jam detection turned off. Any ideas what made it do this? Picture attached or the message for reference.

20150722_093236.jpg

This is a very atypical issue. It's possible your firmware is corrupt. Please re-flash your firmware and re-slice your model.

I caught it in the act this time. It said it ran out of filament. It definitely had filament. It said it was ejecting the remaining filament then went to the same screen as above.

I also confirmed that filament jam detection is off.

I would try and reset the encoder wheel. The encoder wheel is located on the right side of the extruder:

IMG_3485.jpg

You can do this by running the load filament script, followed by the unload filament script. Please also make sure the wheel is clear of any debris and is located in the middle of the gap. If the issue persists please adjust the wheel towards the pins.

If all else fails please open a case at makerbot.com/support and request a Smart Extruder replacement.