Quote Originally Posted by sweaving View Post
CNC lathes and mills don't take that much skill...as with 3D printing all you need these days is a model. upload to the control of the machine pick a few tool paths and you are away!!! modern CNC has very little difference to that of 3D Printing..i know this as I am an engineer who uses high end machines on a daily basis, and who has a cheap CNC lath/mill in his garage that didn't cost that much more than my UM2! the enabler is 3D model availablily. the skill is in the design of the item to be made..
Hi, I disagree. CNC operation requires skill and experience. To operate a basic 3D printer, even if it takes a few tries to make a gun, is something that anybody with an IQ above 95 can do.

Can you get a CNC machine at home depot? No
Can you get a 3D printer at home depot? Yes
Can you get all the designs of a milled or lathed gun on the internet? Probably, but it wont be easy and you would need to be an experienced machinist to get it to work.
Can you get all the designs of a 3D printed gun online? Yes, easily.
How much does a cheap CNC/mill machine cost? Thousands
How much does a cheap 3d printer cost? 300-400

Assuming all variables above are met by the CNC machine as compared to the 3D printer for gun making ability ONLY, what if I ask you this. How much time would it take to make a gun then, on a CNC machine or a mill, many hours of time and work before you get anything usable.

For the perpetrator to go out of his way, to buy a mill, a lathe, dial gauges, bore gauges, calipers, micrometers, feeler gauges, square blocks etc... to make a gun, then I can promise you that I am correct, it just isnt worh it? Do you know how I know this? Show me what % of people that commit gun crimes make their own guns using mills and lathes. Point made.

Right now it is so easy to acquire a gun illegally, that even the super easy and cheap way to make a gun, 3D printing, is still not tempting for the perpetrator. If guns ever become more difficult to find, then criminals will find easier ways to get them, and I can gaurantee you that 3D printing will come way before milling and lathing your own gun.