Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Well, one could select ten or twelve tones from http://www.pantone.com/skintone for a start. Just not all from one end of the scale.

Just a suggestion.
    In an ideal world, yes you are right. But remember this is business. After all I am sure that is what REPRAPPER, a Chinese company, were also considering when they where designing their product range. On one hand you want to give people what they want but this has to be tempered by costs. We could develop a 10 or 12 new PLA colours and produce the stock for it and as we walk through the warehouse and look at our stockpile of 8-10 colours of unsold filament we can feel happy with ourselves.

A good place to start is to not assume people are in some way being evil or "horrible" because most people aren't.

But you are right, there are more skin tones than four and as we have said all along, and to quote our Flesh coloured filament product listings page:

If we find that there is enough demand for "flesh" coloured filaments we will endeavour to expand our range. Remember, if you would like to get filament of a particular colour please let us know as we are happy to try and help.

Engineer
    Man, people are far, far, far to Politically Correct now a day's =/ I just don't get it. So what, there is 3 white color's and 1 black color to start. Good. Bring us more color's as you go. Why hate on a company for bringing more variety to the table .

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo Moo View Post
    Reprapper launches the world’s first skin-color filament series covering 4 colors
    No. You are not the first. FilaFlex, for example, has skin colors too. There are several others as well in both flex and rigid filaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Opening a huge can of worms with this one, Reprapper is. Says a lot about a company when they release a skin colour range that has 3 shades of white and one 'black'. I'm sure Asians, Africans and many more across the world enjoy the lumping together as 'black' while shades of 'white' are catered for. (sarcasm)
    Sigh. People will bitch about anything.

I am quite sure that there will be additional shades added. Four is a good start.

So where was your rage when the other companies came out with skin colors?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Man, people are far, far, far to Politically Correct now a day's =/ I just don't get it. So what, there is 3 white color's and 1 black color to start. Good. Bring us more color's as you go. Why hate on a company for bringing more variety to the table .
    Seriously... Maybe I'm just not 'cultured'. I still don't see what the issue is, I guess that's because I'm color blind?

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Perhaps I should give you some background about myself to at least clarify my stand:

I am a German living in South Africa (for the last 13 years). In SA we are all inclusive i.e. everyone is catered for. My neighbours, at my job, at church, at the beach, in shops, where ever you go you will find all shades of human skin the Lord ever made. There is no place in this society for a black-only school, or white-only restaurant or an Asian-only whatever. Everything is equally open to all. The way it should be. A filament range that has 3 whites and one black has no place here and the few people I spoke to about this found it equally offensive. So I dunno... perhaps SA is more inclusive than some other countries. Furthermore my wife is Indian and our son is in between. No way am I going to spend money at a company that has, for whatever reason, cut my family out the picture.

Wolfie, I had no idea that skin-colour filaments were available. The OP's article was the first I'd heard of such. If I had known before about other companies products and had a problem with their range I would have written to them too.

DBFIU, I don't believe this is about being cultured. Don't be colour-blind to discrimination is all I'm saying. When discrimination occurs because of skin colour then speak up, that's the only way to end it.

FWIW, Reprapper replied to my email and offered me a sample. I will not be accepting it. Right the wrong first.

@iDig3Dprinting We are happy to send you some samples. Pls send your delivery address to our email: innovation@reprappertech.com. Thx~~

@Davo Thanks for your suggestion. We will forward this to our R&D department for study. As a reward for your advice, we would like to send you a gift. Pls kindly send your contact information to us: innovation@reprappertech.com, thx~

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    If I was helpful, I'm glad.
    If I was hurtful, I apologize (and I edited my post).
    It is enough that the suggestion was forwarded to R&D. Thank you.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what frigging discrimination ?

One of the best filament manufacturers comes out with a new line of skin coloured flament.
    Great, of course there will be other colours if enough people ask.
    But to start with you have to pick colours representative of your largest customer base.
    This is simply common sense and sensible business practice.

What has it got to do with any kind of racial discrimination ?
    Are you so bored that you have to go looking for things to be offended by ?

When discrimination occurs because of skin colour then speak up, that's the only way to end it.
    And when that ACTUALLY happens I will.

This is not a case of any kind of discrimination.
    Get some perspective.

@curious aardvark Thanks for your comment. Yes, we had no intention for any discrimination when lauching such filament series. The filament was mainly developed based on customer's demand. As filament manufacturer, we should try our best to provide varieties of products to meet different needs. Thanks for your understanding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast