Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
well if you want to print NOW. The mod-t is out. The backer models don't ship for a few months. So retial models will most likely be the middle of 2016.

Davinci - you hear good and bad. And you will have to hack the cartridges.

The ctc replicator dual clone - is the one I'd go for.
Okay no auto level and you will need to print a couple of add on's: cooling duct is a must.
And it is easy to enclose and add extras - big case, lots of room to add stuff :-)
I would m,ention the dual extruders - but most of us only use one. It is useful to have two different filaments loaded at once, for easy switching. And it will use pretty much every single filament that is out there including most of the flexible ones.

And once you've got it dialled in that'll be a real workhorse. Software wise - you're probably bet using makerware, unless you buy simplify 3d - which IS worth the money and will work with every printer you get in the future - including the one you're already building.
If you do get this one I'd ignore the replicator-g software that comes with it and just start with makerware. Links to earleir versions in the flashforge section.

I'd guess the davinci would be the easiest to enclose (small case) and because of the filament you do get a decent printer for not a lot of money.
But you also hear a lot sob tales from owners.

Hope that helps - and you can definitely rule the mod-t out until next year :-)
My thoughts exactly on all the listed printers. I DO like the idea of Dual extrusion, if only for using a second nozzle for bracing material or for some other mix of exotic printing material (flex, carbon, etc). Although I don't know how well the CTC OR Da Vinci would handle these exotic materials, either (heard the CTC might fair better with some mods). I've seen the Da Vinci used on eBay for around ~$250... which seems like a GREAT deal, IF the condition of the printer is in top shape.

So far though I am leaning toward the CTC 3D... I'm still really concerned about QC from these eBay sellers. I have Amazon Prime so it's easier for me to buy Da Vinci from there though... and have fast shipping and hassle free returns (vs eBay returns).