Close

Hybrid View

I bought a bulldog xl to use as a Bowden for 3mm filament I got nothing but problems with it .. I ended up ditching the Bowden and going back to direct drive it works great now.

As for stepper current mine didn't come with instructions I just set it the same as my other stepper motors (1.4a) .. I recently found info on the stepper motor used apparently 1a is the Max and 0.6 is recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
    I bought a bulldog xl to use as a Bowden for 3mm filament I got nothing but problems with it .. I ended up ditching the Bowden and going back to direct drive it works great now.

As for stepper current mine didn't come with instructions I just set it the same as my other stepper motors (1.4a) .. I recently found info on the stepper motor used apparently 1a is the Max and 0.6 is recommended.
    Hmm. I couldn't find info on recommended current on my bulldog.

Does your bulldog still tock on micro stepps?

You see, I have been doing all these test without the bowden. Just pulling filament through out in open air. It cant handle a few micro steps. It manifested when I first got my printer, feeding directly, but I figured I was too close to bed, or other general extruder problems. I print PLA at low speeds without a heat bed. And this give me problems placing the brim and rafts because the're very slow speed.

The problem with bowden as I understand, is retraction. If it pulls up gooey plastic up the bowded tube, it will quickly cool down and clog up between the bowden and heat break. As long as you calibrate your retraction it should be fine.

This slow speed micro stepping issue comes with a retraction issue. It tries to move a step 1/16 or 1/32, then retracts like 30 degrees at times, clogging. When I was feeding directly, my first layers were terrible.

I went max out .75 on my DRV 8824, not 8825, that I had. .75a doesn't cut it. I put back the 4988 driver, and cranked it up. Once I get to .8a, the motor starts skipping doing a normal extrude for a few mm.

Are you really able to take yours up to 1.5a? If I go higher then .85, my bulldog lite has a seizure. lol

I'm surprised the community doesn't have much to say on this. Would any of you like me to upload a video?