Have a look at the image. On the left is a solid 20x20x10 calibration cube; on the right is a single shell calibration piece as per the Slic3r extruder calibration method. Both were sliced by Slic3r.

All relevant setting were filled in as required. All extrusion diameters were set to 0.4mm. I then printed the single shell item. Shell thickness cam out at exactly 0.4mm. Great. Looks very smooth and clean. Left extrusion multiplier on 1 as the shells were on size. Next I printed the solid cube as a test and well, you can see the result above.

I followed the calibration instructions very closely. I tried 3 brands of filament. All filaments were measured in multiple places (10 to 15 measurements over a two metre length per spool). The bed is levelled. My thinking is that if the extrusion multiplier is spot-on for a single shell print then it should work for any print. The height of both prints is right (10mm). But the sides are telling a different story i.e. very rough in the solid cube, smooth in the single shell.

Interestingly they are both over-size in X and Y. I always scale up my models by 0.7% to compensate for shrinkage. In Makerware the cube then comes out at 20x20, however in Slic3r the same model comes out at 20.15x20.15. This shouldn't happen either.

Some possibly helpful info:

• FFCX
  • Makerware 2.4/Slicer 1.2.9 (both x64)
  • Material: ABS (Esun, Flashforge, local brand)
  • Feed: 50mm/s
  • Extruder temp: 225
  • Layer height: 0.1mm

I feel am missing some simple step but cannot see it. Thanks.