Quote Originally Posted by User_Defined View Post
If it truly was surface tension on the print layer, one would need to explain why a straight column prints so well.

It has to be something, especially if it is evenly distributed along the print. I'm thinking software or physical/mechanical. I would see if you can line up those errors with a video of the print and see if you can spot them as they are being made.

I would also check for linearity over the print surface. Maybe the column has no variations over its height and doesn't suffer from nonlinear effects as much.

Also see if you can print different shaped columns and see where the boundary is between glassy smooth and beginning to get rough.

-UD
I think it does explain exactly that. This is quite difficult to explainpeachy.jpg
I hope my cr*p sketch explains it. And you must understand this is only a theory. But it does explain why it does not affect even columns. The effect of the surface tension is to delay Z. The printer is printing Z, but as there is no resin layer on the object, therefore this printing has no effect and these Z values are 'lost'. When wetting occurs, the old Z values are not re-printed and if the object is tapering, the new X,Y values are smaller than the x,y for lost Z values, thus creating a step.
With a cylindrical object, it doesn't matter about the lost Z values, because post wetting, the x, y values are the same and the resin is hardened without a step. I hope that makes sense, it is quite difficult to visualise.