Hi there everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to the world of 3D printing. I've always wanted a 3D print since I was introduced to the technology, but never had the money to buy one. Kinda lost hope on the idea of ever owning one until I started Googling and discovered there are open source plans all over the net and I could build on for a faction of the price, due to the fact that I have access to a fully equipped workshop/toolroom (lathes, milling machines, band saws, welding machines, etc)

I found some plans (.dxf files) on the internet for a frame to laser cut, and got a set cut out of 6mm aluminum. Some of the edges are rough, so I will file them smooth, then drill and tap the 3mm holes. I decided to go with a frame that has triangular supports just to give it some more strength. See the pic below. I will make my own y-corners out of square aluminum as I have all the sizes needed. I've got all the threaded rod and smooth rods already, just need to get some linear bearings and I can start assembling the frame.

Just wanted to start a build log here for people to follow. I also wanted to ask if there is anything specific I should know, any tips or tricks to help me out along the way? Any weak spots on the default Prusa i3 that I can make better? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.