Close

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training
    The best and most easy material from the hardware store is liquid latex rubber, if you add a white pigment it should dry up white, and is easily removable,
    I am going to try that this week.

I must say the free scans give a better result, and I use the projected cross to keep the main part in focus, but when the final meshing is done, it seems to add all the sharper detail for the final mesh.
    I have not got the idea that there are parts of the object out of focus, and you can always cut away unwanted parts in the segment you scanned before adding to the group scans.

Follow 3DWP On Twitter Add 3DWP on Shapeways Add 3DWP on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by This View Post
    The best and most easy material from the hardware store is liquid latex rubber, if you add a white pigment it should dry up white, and is easily removable,
    I am going to try that this week.

I must say the free scans give a better result, and I use the projected cross to keep the main part in focus, but when the final meshing is done, it seems to add all the sharper detail for the final mesh.
    I have not got the idea that there are parts of the object out of focus, and you can always cut away unwanted parts in the segment you scanned before adding to the group scans.
    OK so free scan is sharper? I don't understand the calibration part, in the manual it says if you move the scanner you have to calibrate again. But how often do you have to do this? If you go to free scan you also move the camera so what am I supposed to do?

Quote Originally Posted by 3DWP View Post
    OK so free scan is sharper? I don't understand the calibration part, in the manual it says if you move the scanner you have to calibrate again. But how often do you have to do this? If you go to free scan you also move the camera so what am I supposed to do?
    I only calibrate when i upgrade their software.

Engineer-in-Training
    It's not that free scan gives better detail, it allows you to move the object yourself to fill holes in the scan, and will make a better complete scan.

The calibration part (I think) is to calibrate the scanner with the turn table, so the software knows exactly where the model is, for aligning scans with the steps of rotation,
    this will make a faster scan, but could leave hidden parts of the object out of the scan.

While I'm doing free scans, I keep an eye out for the cross that is projected on the object, and adjust so it is not to close or far away from the scanner,
    in theory, when the cross hair is sharpest it should scan best, but certain parts of the object will always be closer or further away.
    I don't see less detail on the resulting scan when the line pattern, on the object during scanning, is not sharpest.

I am really amazed of the detail of the scans, and auto aligning works great.