Close

Threaded View

Peachy Printer Founder
    This is very interesting, I had never really thought about using filler in the way that most of this conversations assumes we do( by mixing it in with the liquid resin before printing)
    which is an interesting idea that i havent explored, or spoken to Josh about.

Much like mike_biddell suggested, I have been printing molds ( or shells ) ... but not out of rubber.
    here is what I do every time i want a solid object.

1 print only the shell of the object
    2 fill the object with resin ( note if the object is from a manifold file it will already be completely full of liquid resin inside the printed shell, the peachy has no problem printing water tight objects)
    3. place the object in the sun or in a uv cure box.. vola you have a solid object! and the best part is how fast you can print it because you only really took the time to print the shell!

Printing a shell is sort of like printing a mold that you never peal off.

Now for the filler, instead of just filling the shell with resin its easy to fill it with resin and a filler.
    Great fillers have the flowing properties

1 strong long granules
    2 transmit uv light (to aid the light in geting deep in to the print)
    3 extremely cheap!
    4 mimic the rigidity or flexibility of the resin.

So far my favorite filler is par boiled rice! it fits the above criteria very well for the hard resin and displaces alot of the resin that i would normally have had to use in my print!
    I am looking forward to trying ground glass and glass beads(sand blasting grits), I think using this method you can reduce something like 75 percent of the resing required in a solid print
    and possibly make the print stronger to. Time and testing will tell.

Wishing I could share all the pics i have of testing this but allas I don't have that hard drive with me now, perhaps Ill post them here another day.
    Last edited by rylangrayston; 01-28-2014 at 05:49 AM.