Well.

I had gotten deeply entrenched in my ways for modeling. The middle and right mouse buttons were my hand of god, spinning and zooming as I pleased. I played with the 3dmouse for a little bit, and I didn't like it. I didn't see the need.

But now I'm on the road, and my portable mouse's middle button doesn't always work. But I had brought the 3dmouse just so I could play with it some more. I also ended up with a project to do, as I was stuck at my girlfriends place, and we just re-decorated her bedroom, and since she has a thing for dragons, well, I made these http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:911288. Not a complex project, but still, I need 3d camera control.

So out came the SpaceNavigator. And after bitching it out for 10 minutes, cause the axes didn't make any friggin sense, and then realizing I had it sitting sideways, it slowly started to grow on me. Initially, I had to slow it down, as the acceleration was too great, and it was getting out of control; Multiple times I lost the object completely as it had been reduced to one pixel or less on my screen, only the origin axes letting me know where I was. But now, I think I will have to step up the speed a bit, as I'm learning the touch (and it's touchy!). I discovered the huge advantage of not having to release an object or element with the right handed mouse to spin the world. With the 3dmouse, I can continue to drag or hold an element as I rotate the world around it. I'll continue to play with it, but I think my initial impression was faulty. There is a point and a use for it. It sure takes a lot of practice.... having to retrain 30+ years of right handed mouse use only is a lot of work. I think using a Nostromo Speedpad for gaming has helped in that learning curve though....

Still just a prelimary review.... an indepth one is coming.