Close

Hybrid View

Engineer
    s3d version 3.0 has been released. its a huge update. everything that everyone was asking for.

JimC - thanks for the heads-up. Downloading now then will try a test print with it.

Well v.3 faired no better. Over on the S3D discussion board I came across this post: https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1587

It looks like the software just can't handle printing thin pieces, which is pretty much what I was trying to print. The last post in that thread mentioned changing the extrusion width (from .4mm to .2mm) and the Extrusion Multiplier from .9mm to 1.5mm.

I'm trying a print now and we'll see how it turns out.

Engineer
    you cant change the nozzle dia like that. the nozzle dia needs to stay correct to the machine. s3d prints thin walls just fine. if its too thin for your printer to print it then s3d will know it and the unprintable walls wont be showing in the print preview. have you run a thin wall calibration cube? you need to dial in your extrusion settings first. you cant just set them where you want. you also can expect your settings from makerware to work in s3d, slicer, cura or vice versa. hiw the math is figured out is different in all of them so settings will be unique for all. also as for the filament dia, is your filament actually 1.75? did you measure it with calipers in a bunch of different places?

looking at your last picture, its hard to tell but it looks like some of the features are too small to print. s3d wont print out of spec like other slicers. it knows how small your printer can actually print correctly. if the feature is too small it wont do it. other slicers will just print it anyway even though the end result isnt correct to the original model.
    Last edited by jimc; 06-23-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks Jim. Let me try printing a thin wall calibration piece and see if I find any issues. Re: your comment that S3D won't print pieces that are too small if the printer can't handle it...I'll have to read up on this. Maybe that's the limitation I'm bumping up against.

Well, I tried the settings but no luck (http://screencast.com/t/5ZSKu58iOVS). I guess S3D just can't print thin walls. Back to MakerBot.