Close

Threaded View

Student
    How big of a build area have you actually tested?

What is the maximum deflection angle for the peachy like? I'd like to get an idea of how high the printer needs to be mounted as related to desired build area dimensions. (i.e. height above top of build area container).

If it works (even if somewhat slowly) with the dripper for larger volumes (i.e. 2'x2'x2'), then it could make sense to look at ways to increase the fill rate of the build container (a pump hack, or whatever, to make the print times less painful). Maybe something involving a pair of motorized ball valves and a continuously running small pump to facilitate "scaling up" the drips for larger containers. With an adjustable size holding reservoir between the valves (i.e. with a diaphragm or something like a syringe + stepper motor so it can be controlled, and with open air overflow so the holding tank always fills to the exact correct volume), it might be fully automated (just enter the build volume size in the software and it can solve for the correct settings), and provide extremely consistent Z on the scaled up "drips".

If the printer angle is narrow, it may make trying to print a lifesize canoe require an impractical mounting height though=)

And with napkin math, at 2 liters per hour, something like the ~24"x22.5"x14.5" build area I suggested above would only take about 64 hours to fill (if I calculated correctly), which isn't that much worse than print times I've heard of for other large build area printers. Definitely would want to look at increasing the fill rate if I try to print at that size though...

This thread is insightful. You've been fantastically open about the details of this project and it's been fun watching as you have brought the Peachy to life... Thanks!
    Last edited by Toasterboy; 06-03-2015 at 04:13 AM. Reason: typo