Close



Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Technologist ex-egll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    130

    Sticking too well!

    A lot of people have had problems, particularly with ABS, when it comes to lack of adhesion causing warping. Since I have started to use "rafts" I have had no warping or lifting issues, even on larger prints. My problem is getting the print off the bed once it is completed. I use a 1" dry wall spreader to lift it off by forcing it under the print, but the amount of pressure required is pretty scary, and I'm sure the glass is going to shatter one day. I don't even us the hairspray any more, the print goes straight on the glass. Removing the print when the bed is hot cold or warm requires the same amount of force.

    Any ideas how to get the print off with out too much force?

  2. #2
    Staff Engineer printbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, Colorado USA
    Posts
    1,433
    Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I had one troublesome PLA print that I just couldn't pry off the glass after it had cooled. A few minutes in the freezer was enough to pop it off the glass. The freezer may not be good for the glass either, but I'd rather have the glass break in the freezer than in my hands and with my face nearby.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,264
    the other thing you can try is a freezing spray.
    Plumbers supplies shops sell it.

    I've also found that a sharp tap will often release a print.

    I use pet tape and can lift the printer with some prints. But asharp tap with a hammer usually releases it without any hassle.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Roxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    I had one troublesome PLA print that I just couldn't pry off the glass after it had cooled. A few minutes in the freezer was enough to pop it off the glass. The freezer may not be good for the glass either, but I'd rather have the glass break in the freezer than in my hands and with my face nearby.
    Even with the glass still warm I have never had any trouble putting the plate in the freezer. And in 5 minutes... Everything comes off clean and easy. The only down side is I get a lot of fog and condensation on the glass. If I'm going to print something else immediately, that kind of delays things because I have to wait for the bed to heat up enough to get rid of the moisture. And then I can finally spray some more hair spray onto the glass.

  5. #5
    Technologist ex-egll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    130
    Thanks, I'll try the hammer method first, seems easier!

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Roxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-egll View Post
    Thanks, I'll try the hammer method first, seems easier!
    I have the freezer set super cold. You might want to try doing that if you have some big prints with lots of surface area. It seems the colder you have the freezer, the better it works.

  7. #7
    Technologist
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lakeport, CA.
    Posts
    174
    I print on glass w/ hairspray.

    Over time, the hairspray can build up considerably.

    I've noticed that "heavy" ABS prints w/ little infill, can become, er, quite attached to the glass/hairspray.

    When things start to reach that point, I take the glass off and give it a good washing in the sink..., carefully.

    FWIW, I also tend to keep my bed temps for ABS quite high relative to the original MF settings. Depending on the print, I may leave it at 110C for the whole print, or slowly bump it down to something like 102C.

  8. #8
    Engineer
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eastern Colorado
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    the other thing you can try is a freezing spray. Plumbers supplies shops sell it.
    Spraying one of those canned dusters upside down will do the same thing.

    I once had trouble with a piece printed in ABS warping. I tried all the adhesive options, with no luck. Then I tried using blue painter's tape, with hairspray on the tape, with ABS juice on the hairspray. The ABS still warped, but it stuck so well that it flexed the glass too, breaking it.

  9. #9
    Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    204
    few drops of water on the bottom of the glass under the print if you don't want the stinky canned air.

  10. #10
    Technologist
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lakeport, CA.
    Posts
    174
    Well, yes, but you invented Super Tape. You WOULD be rich..., but you gave away the secret formula...

    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    Spraying one of those canned dusters upside down will do the same thing.

    I once had trouble with a piece printed in ABS warping. I tried all the adhesive options, with no luck. Then I tried using blue painter's tape, with hairspray on the tape, with ABS juice on the hairspray. The ABS still warped, but it stuck so well that it flexed the glass too, breaking it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •