I think the race to the bottom is just that..a race to the bottom. We aren't going to see an increase in quality with any new decreases in cost. It is already the age of dirt cheap parts so all paying rock bottom is going to get you is cheap.

How about a focus on quality, reliability and convenience? Even the so called higher end printers require way too much user attention and knowledge. This does not make for a realistic consumer product and failure is almost certain. I don't think the industry ever made it up to the correct price point to produce a good consumer 3d printer. The basic problems inherent in FDM printing have really not been improved on and the whole market is a bit of a mess. The iPhone sells because consumers like them and they work well. You can debate weather they are the best smart phone but you can't debate the fact of their success. The first company that produces a printer that is reliable and works with the press of a button will get lots of consumer dollars. The low price point that the hobby is looking for right now is not going to be this successful printer. My guess is that when we finally do see it come to market it will be much higher priced than what we are discussing here.