Close

Hybrid View

That is definitely and interesting point of view on the industry as a whole. One thing to consider is the extreme difference in technologies and how that effects cost to purchase. So comparing the higher end machines to the rep raps, makerbots, cubes, etc. is like comparing apples to oranges. The cost of getting into the high end machines is certainly going to stagnate the market once you start approaching saturation. Add to that both 3D Systems and Stratasys were gobbling up competitors at an astonishing rate that has only just begun to slow. I'm shocked they haven't invested more time and money into advertising the consumer level printers. It seems to me that should have begun about a year ago when 3D printing was making the rounds on the local TV news stations. Their "HP" approach to proprietary filament cartridges would be much more effective if marketed to the masses. The DIY people will never be on board with those type printers but millions of other people would if they just simply pushed advertising.

Add cadpro78 on Google+ Add cadpro78 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Placebo View Post
    That is definitely and interesting point of view on the industry as a whole. One thing to consider is the extreme difference in technologies and how that effects cost to purchase. So comparing the higher end machines to the rep raps, makerbots, cubes, etc. is like comparing apples to oranges. The cost of getting into the high end machines is certainly going to stagnate the market once you start approaching saturation. Add to that both 3D Systems and Stratasys were gobbling up competitors at an astonishing rate that has only just begun to slow. I'm shocked they haven't invested more time and money into advertising the consumer level printers. It seems to me that should have begun about a year ago when 3D printing was making the rounds on the local TV news stations. Their "HP" approach to proprietary filament cartridges would be much more effective if marketed to the masses. The DIY people will never be on board with those type printers but millions of other people would if they just simply pushed advertising.
    This kind seems like 'the banks being too big to fail syndrome' with 3D Systems and Stratasy.

The cost of getting into the high end machines is certainly going to stagnate the market once you start approaching saturation.
    Which is why they want to outlaw using anything but their over priced filament. Did you know you have committed a felony if you print with out using their filament?

I'm shocked they haven't invested more time and money into advertising the consumer level printers.
    They are spending a lot of time, effort and money to advertise that you are a felon if you don't print using their over priced filament.

It seems to me that should have begun about a year ago when 3D printing was making the rounds on the local TV news stations. Their "HP" approach to proprietary filament cartridges would be much more effective if marketed to the masses. The DIY people will never be on board with those type printers but millions of other people would if they just simply pushed advertising.
    Maybe they will 'invent' some technology to tell them when the printer is being used without their filament. Maybe it could call the local police department and have a squad car sent out to arrest the people? That would help sales.