Close

filament'bubble' every time a new layer is started (on Weistek WT150)

I finally got my WT150 working. I tried different temperatures for the filament I'm using. Right now I'm at 190 degrees and it seems to do the job as should be. But... There is a small bubble of filament every time the printer starts a new layer. You can see on the picture below. You see the thread and the cone are not smooth as should be.
    What is the problem? Do I have to change the temperature?

quicklok.jpg

Engineer
    It's a slicer problem if you mean that line, "crater" on one side. But I can't see the bubbles you mentionned since the picture is very small.
    Can you re-upload the picture as an attachment instead of picture?

It's quite a software problem rather than your settings, it's a common problem if you print cylindrical parts.

Thank you for the answer Richard!
    Here two pictures, first the one from the 'good' side: as it should be on both sides. And one from the 'bad' side. You can see where the printer started every new layer. It seems indeed like a 'crater'line.
    2015-05-06 23.36.43.jpg2015-05-06 23.36.27.jpg

Engineer
    My comment, because my standard is really high, both sides are just terrible.

Here are my concern.

1) You part is small and that is one problem.
    2) You probably print it too fast for its size.
    3) No time for layers to cooldown, a solution would be to enable active cooling if possible, or print really slowly. I can pull a print with extremely decent quality by stretching the print time to 3-4 hours if I have to. I dont know if you are using proprietary software, so you may not have that option. You could use an external fan to force the cooldown.
    If not, try to print several parts at the same time, by the time your nozzle jump printing another parts, it would have time enough to cool it down. But there may be small artifact, which is better than having that whole side.

I am also assuming your printing on low resolution right? It seems to be bigger than 0.2mm layer height. Crater line is usually a software that you can't really solve it.... The problems becomes much more pronounced when printing at lower resolution and thick wall/ density.

You could make thinner wall and allow less density, and check if it solve your problem.

I completely agree with the above, I would suggest 2 more things :
    1/ Do you have a parameter that removes or adds extrusion when re-starting after a move ? If you do, check it.
    2/ Your printer starts the layers always at the same point. (thus the line extending on Z axis). This is the result of a deliberate choice to optimize for speed. But, in some softwares, you can tick a box stating "random starting point for each layer". This is not sufficient in itself to solve your issue : all of Richarphat's comments are on target, but it may help to hide the problem somewhat.

Thank you guys. I'm just getting started with printing so I think I can learn a lot from you! I use ReplicatorG as suggested by Weistek. For this I tried a layer from 0.2mm.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    switch to makerware. It'll improve things - other than that waht the guys said.
    Not the stitching - you probably need to buy simplify 3d for that.
    looks like a hose adaptor for a pressure washer - or is that simply because I'm thinking about designing one to fit our pressure washer to a patio cleaner :-)